Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Pom-Pom Girl

    I spend two mornings a week with a young women with disabilities,  who I'll call "Pom-Pom Girl".  It is hard to believe that we have been friends now for six years.  I sing silly songs, or read to pass the time, and this seems to go very quickly.  It gives new meaning to the saying "time flies when you're having fun".   I started out thinking that I might be able to help someone else, but  I soon learned that I get a lot back.
   It had been a long time since I was able to "smother" someone, and the Pom-Pom Girl loves to be pampered.  I'm told I'm like a doting aunt or grandma, and that's OK with me.  She has a nice collection of light blankets, and so I cover her up when she sits in her favorite chair while I read aloud.  I'm also very good with snacks and juice breaks.  It's important to drink a lot of fluids each day, so when the characters in our story have a drink or meal, we have something also.  We also critique everyone from each book, and decide who we would think would be a  friend.  We don't like mean people, or really sad stories.  Books with animals and kids working together to solve problems are the most enjoyable.  I realized that I could talk or sing for hours, and it actually made someone happy.
   I decided to write the Matt and Muggzy books a few years ago.  I would always talk about my doggy, and tell stories about Matt as a little boy.  I remembered things that he liked, silly songs and party sandwiches.  If I could make it fun, he would be more cooperative.  I wrote the stories that we liked to read.
   We try to keep to a daily routine, because I think consistency is important.  First we do our chores, which is anything that needs to be done, then we get to play.  I talk through everything as we go, which causes less anxiety for both of us.  I've enjoyed the last six years, and look forward to many more....and the beat goes on.....the beat goes on......



No comments:

Post a Comment