Sunday, July 1, 2012

Happy Birthday America

  July 4th is the day we celebrate America's 236th birthday, and commemorate the signing of the Declaration of Independence.  It contains phrases such as "We the People", "By the People, and "For the People" as it outlines our Constitution. At the time,. it must have seemed outrageous, and today we use terms like progressive as if it were a bad thing.  I get tired of hearing Americans complain and focus only on our problems, and so I've decided to list  my top ten favorite things.  I'm all for regulation that helps people, and I want my Government to be big enough to insure liberty and justice for all.  I also want to thank the liberals who fought for these laws and privileges. I hope the best is yet to come!

 1.  Holidays - because without them we'd all have to work this Wednesday, July 4!
 2.  The 40hr workweek - because we wouldn't get to enjoy any weekends.
 3.  Social Security and Medicare for Seniors - because we'll never get to retire without our safety net.
 4.  Regulations for Clean water and Clean Air because I do not trust that corporations will do the right thing.
 5.  Laws that insure safe cars, planes and trains keep because we are all precious cargo.
 6.  Healthcare-  when my husband got laid off from his job, we lost our health insurance that very day.
 7.  Women's right's - "We are women, hear us roar in numbers too big to ignore!".  This will say it all to the          
      baby-boomers who remember this old song.  Let's keep moving forward.
 8.  Voter's rights - We each get one vote- Let's use our vote wisely - and fight against suppression. 
 9.  Equal rights for all - we get to choose our church and our spouse by ourselves- period.
10.  Education that puts students first, and their budgets get cut last (You will have to thank liberals for that)


 My wish list for the future is short.  
1. I want  corporate and international money out of elections, and full disclosure for big donations.
2. I want Medicare for all - it works , it's simple, and it's not tied with employment.
3. I want banks to use their own money when they gamble - we've lost enough from our retirement accounts.
4. I want teacher, cops and construction workers back to work- because the first thing they'll do is buy stuff-
    and that's the best way to grow the economy.  That's my view of capitalism - a strong middle class with 
    enough spendable cash to buy the goods and services that drive prosperity. 
5. I want Congress to put the people first, and actually get something done.  We are watching, and we vote!


I still believe that our best days are ahead of us, and our problems can be fixed.  I heard some reporter say they would move to Canada because of the recent  Healthcare ruling.  Really????  You do know that Canada has Universal Healthcare, right ???   I'd like to see all journalists fact check their statements before making announcements on TV.  I also think it's important to fact check the statements made by the candidates as well as their TV ads.  It's the responsible thing to do.   
Just sign me a proud American.....and the beat goes on.....the beat goes on.....






     

No comments:

Post a Comment