Sunday, July 29, 2012

2012 Olympians Go for the Gold

    I really enjoy watching the Olympics.  I always tear up when the torch is lit during the opening ceremonies, and I loved that the audience all sang "Hey Jude" with Paul McCartney.  I find that I cry along with both the medal winners, and those athletes whose dreams have been crushed.  I stay up way too late, glued to the TV, watching the "thrill of victory" and the "agony of defeat."  I love to hear the stories about the athletes,  and their families, who seem to agonize over each round of competition.  I get emotional every time our national anthem is played for the gold medal recipient.  It's going to be a long couple of weeks!
     Today I caught synchronized diving, swimming, water polo, volleyball, and gymnastics.  I am struck by both the ability and concentration of our young American Olympians!  I can only imagine the work and dedication required to get to these games, because it's exhausting just watching them compete!   Of course, I cheer the American teams on from my easy chair , even though the event  may have been recorded due to the difference in time zones.
      Today,  the USA medal count is second only to China.   I hope that Great Britain wins their share of medals this year in front of their fans and citizens, provided they don't knock us out of contention.  I hate seeing an athlete get hurt, because we enjoy it more when we beat our opponents at the top of their game.
Patriotism is a beautiful thing to watch, and it is a common denominator for the American athletes who represent our country.  This proud American would like to  thank you and your families for your commitment to excellence.  I hope you all see your Olympic dreams come true! ....have a good week everyone!!
.....and the beat goes on....the beat goes on......

No comments:

Post a Comment