Sunday, June 3, 2012

We Win from Within

   I just watched the Boston Celtics beat the Miami Heat in overtime tonight!  On paper, the Celtics do not look like they should have a chance against LeBron and the younger guys.  No one should be ready to count them out, because these old guys won't quit!  Two games were decided in overtime, when the Heat were expected to cruise through the series.  One of the commercials during the game featured former NBA champions, and the quote I liked the best is that we "win from within."  I also like the Celtics commercial that says something to the effect "We are not Hollywood, and we are not South Beach, we are Causeway Street (which is where the Boston Garden is located)."  My take away is that attitude is everything.
   Years ago when I was in direct sales, every consultant had a chance to earn a trip to Hawaii. We needed to meet requirements of total sales and recruits in order to win the trip.  I thought it would be fantastic,  because Ron and I  were celebrating ten years of marriage.  Our team leader told us that "whether we thought we could qualify, or if we thought that we couldn't ...we would be right".  In other words, we probably would not have a chance if we didn't believe we could do it.  I decided to go for it, and I won the trip!  I kept my eye on the prize and took one day at a time.  Every day I did something to work towards my goal, and I used the theme from the Rocky movies for motivation!  I was told that if I reached for the skies and failed, I'd end up in the clouds, which would still be really great!  I learned that those of us who earned the trip would  only have to work ten percent harder than those who failed to qualify.
    Tonight I decided to take another look at my goals for 2012.  If the Celtics can compete, then I can stop making excuses about being too old, and get back to work.  No matter what happens to the Celtics in games 5, 6, and 7, they deserve a lot of credit.  I hope they win another Championship for themselves and their fans!  They are proving to the world that when we work hard and stay in the game, anything is possible.  Never underestimate the heart of a champion.  No excuses for age or injuries...just keep  going.
Take what you like and leave the rest....and the beat goes on....the beat goes on.......

No comments:

Post a Comment