Sunday, May 6, 2012

Mamma Said There'd be Days Like This

  As a Mom, I've always relied on different sayings in order to get my point across.  I try my best not to be sarcastic, and I usually only say one of the ten things that may be on the tip of my tongue.  Here are some of my favorite "mommy-isms", and when I suggest using them.
  "I'm a smother, not a mother" comes in handy when your kid wants you to back off, and give them some space.  Helicopter Mom is another popular term for a mom who hovers too close to her children.
   "I can't give you anything but love" is the best fallback song when kids continue to ask for things that you cannot do for them right now.  It always stopped the conversation, however the fact that I actually sang it may have helped my cause.
   "You have five minutes to tell me everything that I'm going to find out anyway" is great when you've caught your kid in a lie.  It serves two excellent purposes.  Kids get to talk and parents listen.  This gives us a chance to review the list of things running through our heads, before we say too much. I found that if I spoke too quickly,  I may need to spend a week apologizing for what and how I said things.   I'd have to spend the next few days making it up to my family.  I also promised to cut the punishment time in half,  if I got the truth immediately.  I don't think it's cheating to threaten to ground your kids twice as long as you would normally, then look like the nice guy when you agree to shorten it.
   "I know you are not out stealing cars, but you still have to clean your room" is one of my love sandwiches.  I compliment, then give my complaint, and wind up acknowledging that I know that I have a good kid.
  "You are the kid who made me the mother I am today" always cracked Matt up.  Each Mother's Day I thanked him for doing a good job.  I reminded him that I knew it was hard to be a twelve year old, and then a teenager who worked hard and was respectful (the only  things I asked him to do when he started first grade).
I knew what some of my friends were dealing with, and I really did feel grateful.
    I loved being a mom, even when I felt like I stunk at it.  I always took comfort in the saying that "practice makes perfect", and I know I have a lifetime to get it right.  Remember to get your cards and gifts in the mail in time for Mother's Day which is Sunday, May 13th. A phone call is easy...we'd love to hear your voice.
These are my opinions, so take what you like and leave the rest....and the beat goes on.....the beat goes on......have a good week everyone.....

No comments:

Post a Comment