Sunday, May 20, 2012

Getting Ready for Summer

  Well, the pool cover is off, and we are getting ready for Memorial Day weekend, the unofficial start of summer 2012.  The water is never warm enough for any of the adults to swim, however, the kids are always ready to start the summer with a splash!  Temperatures in New Hampshire have hit the 70's during the day, but since it cools down overnight, the pool water doesn't get a chance to stay warm.
   With a stroke of good luck, the gas grill tank ran out while we were grilling today, so we can start the new season with a full tank.  It's always such a pain when we are in the middle of a cookout, and we run out of gas while the steaks are on the grill.
    The yard outside is looking great, our roses are blooming, and the flowers and lawn are thriving with the help of some rainy weekdays we've had lately.  I bought two new American Flags, one for near the mailbox, the other will be near our planters.  Baskets of flowers will hang from our outdoor pole lamp.
    As I look around our three season room, everything gets a daily coating of pollen, and so I know I'll have my work cut out for me each Friday in order to make it company ready for the weekends.  My routine has been the same for the last twenty-eight years, clean and cook on Fridays, then entertain on Saturdays or Sundays.  I often wonder how many hamburgers my husband, Ron has grilled, and just how many bowls of potato salad and fruit salad I've prepared through the years. I ponder how many times I've said "I'm cooking for fifteen or twenty of my closest relatives", just the siblings and their children.   When all the kids were young, we had all the parties, now it's just a few times each year.  Teenagers play sports on weekends, and have summer jobs.  If the summer is hot though, we may  have more company.
    I'm ready to enjoy this summer, however it goes.  If we are not entertaining guests,  I'll be on my float with a book.  If we are busy, I'll be the "'hostess with the most-ess"", and will make sure I make all the favorites.
    This year, when you are out at the dollar store picking up paper plates for your parties, don't forget to get a flag and display it at your house.  Memorial day is when we commemorate our military who fought for us, so that we can all be free.  I'm proud to live in America, and I'm very grateful to those who serve.
     Have a good week everyone...and the beat goes on....the beat goes on.......
     

No comments:

Post a Comment