Sunday, November 27, 2011

Tis the Season

    This Holiday season,  shopping days have names like "Black Friday",  "Small Business Saturday", and "Cyber Monday".   We were talking recently about the impact that the slower economy might have on the small businesses in our town.  I heard some suggestions about how to support local businesses as we exchange gifts with family and friends this year.  If we try to shop on Main Street, we can help our local economy. It may take more time and planning than the gift card display at the grocery store, but we may be able to help save the business of one of our neighbors.  I'm all for simple solutions, and  I'll share a few of my favorites.  I know that there are many occupations that wish they were busier.  Give a gift certificate for some house cleaning.  Hire a handyman to do some work for an elderly relative.  Purchase a certificate for a manicure or pedicure from a local beauty salon.  Go to the craft fairs, and find one-of-a-kind type gifts that have definitely been made in America.  Buy yarn and knitting supplies from a smaller downtown shop.  Buy a gift certificate from a local restaurant.  Give a movie night with a couple of tickets and snacks.  Buy two tickets to a play from the local theater group, give one away as a gift, and make it a fun night out together.  Build a gift basket from a specialty store.  A cooking lesson or a craft class may be a great gift for someone you would like to see get out more.
   I could never think of any good gift ideas for myself.  A few years ago, I began asking for something that I would be able to use up.  I love nice smelling candles, and bath and body products.  I get the chance to think about  the person who gave me the gift, as I use the item throughout the year.  Another time I asked for two tickets to anything.  It's great to look forward to a night out when everyone is getting cabin fever after the Holidays have passed.
   Hopefully these hints will help you to think of great ideas for your circle of family and friends.  As always, take what you like, and leave the rest...and the beat goes on.....the beat goes on....

No comments:

Post a Comment