Monday, October 14, 2013

New England's Comeback Kids

   Sunday was a very busy day for sports fans in New England.  The Patriots football game was on TV at 4:30 pm, and the Red Sox playoff game started at 8:15 pm.  Everyone watching was treated to two of the best comeback wins in a long time.  The moral of both stories is to never give up.
    The Patriots were losing with less than three minutes left in the game, and Tom Brady's pass was intercepted.  Since the Red Sox were due to start in a few minutes, I decided to clean up the kitchen.  After all, now there were only two minutes left in the game.  I scurried back to the den when I heard my husband cheering that the Pat's had gotten the ball back.  This season, all the receivers are new, and catching balls are no longer automatic.  Fans cannot wait until the team runs the plays the way they are drawn up.  Yesterday, we got a glimpse of just how easy it could be.  With 5 seconds left, Tompkins caught a pass, and the Patriots wound up beating the saints, who had not lost this season.  It was fantastic!   At the press conference, Brady talked about all the practice that the team does to prepare for different game time situations.  A former player mentioned that each Thursday is devoted to exactly that. Hopefully, this is the confidence booster that the teams needs. Patriots always talk about playing for all 60 minutes, and yesterday, it took  exactly 59 minutes and 55 seconds of hard work to win that game.  Keep up the good work!
       The Red Sox game began very slowly, with Detroit pitching dominating.  Detroit was racking up all kinds of records, because the Red Sox were shut out Saturday night, and no one got a hit until the sixth inning last night.  In the eighth inning though, fans got to see some Red Sox Magic!  Red Sox were trailing the Tigers 5 to 1, when  Big Papi hit a grand slam to tie the game!  Some of my relatives were at the game, sitting  four rows behind the bullpens.  The home run landed right in front of them, and the fans were going nuts.  Someone paused their TV and took of picture of them in the stands.  And yes, at least one of them was wearing a fake beard! It must have been incredible!  I tried to call my nephew after the game, but he did not answer.  Apparently, they were taking pictures with his phone, and said that fans stuck around cheering long after the game had ended.  They called when they got in the car though, and said it was the best game they had ever attended.
    After Saturday's loss, I bought Hood's Red Sox Caramel Comeback ice cream.  Yes, New England actually has ice cream with names like Green Monster Mint and others ( I bought them both).  I usually talk with my dad in Florida Sunday nights, and of course they were watching too.  I said I was going to have some ice cream, and I'd call him back if anything good happened.  OMG,  it worked!  Of course, I'll have to have enough on hand to get me through the series.  No matter how it ends, fans know that this Red Sox team never gives up, and will play hard until the game is over.  I cannot wait until Tuesday night to see what happens next......and the beat goes on.....the beat goes on.........

No comments:

Post a Comment