Sunday, September 15, 2013

Small Steps Become Big Strides

    I hope everyone had a nice Labor Day Weekend!  Severe storms in New Hampshire knocked out my internet.  It certainly wasn't cookout weather, but we made the most of it.  I wound up doing two of my favorite things on rainy weekends,  "little and nothing".  It has been a hectic summer with lots of company and pool parties.  It's time to close our pool for the winter, even though temperatures hit ninety degrees last week.
   Last weekend, my folks were visiting again from Florida, and I was not home much at all.  There were long days with the entire family, and it is always great to see them.  I hope I'm that spunky when I hit my eighties.  They got to see all six of their children,  all eleven great-grandchildren, and seven of their thirteen grandchildren.  It's always controlled chaos, but it is a lot of fun.  We try and drive them, as traffic in the northeast can be extremely challenging even with a G-P-S system in the car.  This gives us more time to visit.
    I'm pleased with my couch to 5-K progress.  The cooler weather has enabled me to jog for longer distances, and my dog keeps the pace easily.  My next step is to sign up for a local 5-K walk run, and then attempt to run for twenty minutes.  Today, I can run for about five minutes, then we walk until I can breathe normally, and jog again for a total of twenty minutes.  My neighborhood route is more than one mile, and I can continue to add distance. I know now that I will be able to complete a 5-K, even though I've had my doubts when the heat and humidity was so oppressive this summer.  I've lost more than ten pounds, but I really expected the weight to melt off.  I'm also sleeping better, and seem to have more energy.  All things considered, it has been a positive experience.   I am already planning to run another 5-K in the spring, so I will have to continue to work during the winter.  I will keep my focus on progress, not perfection.  I will not set unreachable goals, as that will allow me an excuse to give up.  Small steps will become bigger strides....and the beat goes on....the beat goes on.......
    
    
      
     
    
     

No comments:

Post a Comment