Sunday, September 22, 2013

Gearing Up For My 5 K Walk-Run Event

    I've gotten a lot of advice as I train for my very first 5 K walk-run, and I've done my best to follow all the tips.  I was advised to talk about it with others, so I would not be tempted to give up on my goal. I was told to sign up for a race, so I could keep my eyes on my goal.   As I talked with people, almost everyone had a suggestion or two.  The most recent was to make sure I had warm running clothes, as the weather will turn colder.  I now have eight layer running pants, and spandex crops that will keep moisture away.  I have new running shirts with both short and long sleeves, as well as a wind resistant shirt.  Matt gave me a gift certificate and I will use it to get some rain gear.  It really is all about the clothes, and how comfortable I can be while I walk and run.
    There is a local 5 K race called the crop walk, which will raise money for the soup kitchens and local food banks.  The event will be held the end of October, and so I now have my last five weeks to train.  I'm confident that I will easily finish, even if I walk the last mile.  I will raise some money for a good cause, and I can be proud of my accomplishment.  This means that I will be able to scratch another item off my bucket list.  It seemed a lot more daunting before I started this journey, and now it is clearly within reach.  I have yet to run for an entire mile, but I continue to make progress.   I feel so much better than I did in June when I began to walk my neighborhood with my dog.  My clothes fit better, and I've lost ten pounds.  Of course, I thought the weight would melt off me, but I will choose to focus on all the positive benefits.
  One of my cousins will run the New York Marathon in November, and I have a lot of respect for her commitment.  I know how hard she works, and I give her a lot of credit, because I cannot imagine running for twenty-six miles....and the beat goes on....the beat goes on.....

No comments:

Post a Comment