Sunday, August 4, 2013

Couch to 5-K Program

   The couch to 5-K program is a nine week training schedule for beginners who want to run their first race.  I set a goal that I would participate in a five kilometer or 3.1 mile, walk-run  before I turn 60 in December.  I start my official training tomorrow, and I hope to sign up and run by Thanksgiving weekend.  The literature suggests a slow and steady pace, and even recommends repeating a week several times before advancing to another step.
   I'm going to allow twelve weeks to train, and I will concentrate on walking and jogging.  Each session should take 20 or 30 minutes, and I will do three each week, with a break in between to rest and recover.  It all seems manageable, as I am begin by walking  for five minutes, then jog for sixty seconds, then walk for ninety seconds. I repeat this scenario for twenty minutes, and then I'm done.  I've decided on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, with a make-up day over the weekend in case of bad weather.  
    I've actually been trying to walk my dog three days a week since May.  We jogged and ran quite a bit in June, because of the torrential downpours that we were caught in that month.  In July, I jogged in the pool, and did laps when it was too hot to walk.  We had record heat waves this summer, and the dog refused to walk on the hot pavement.  I also walked while watching TV with the air conditioning blasting.  No one has ever called my timing impeccable, but life is definitely what happens when we are making other plans.  I plan to keep my eye on the prize and continue to work.  There is a saying that slow and steady wins the race, and I know that this is something that I can accomplish.
    I'll update my progress each week, and report when I've signed up for my 5-K walk run event....and the beat goes on.....the beat goes on.....
P.S. Sorry about last week.  My computer froze, and we had to send it out for repair.  I got it back today....

No comments:

Post a Comment