Sunday, April 14, 2013

April 15th

   This year I'm counting my blessings.  Our taxes are done, and we are getting a refund.  Like most Americans,  I'm always happy when we have paid in more taxes than we owe.  I definitely believe in paying my fair share of taxes, and having a government big enough to insure that we have clean air, clean water, safe food and safe airplanes.  I want my government to be in the business of safety,  and I hope it is able to pass new laws regarding gun safety.  It broke my heart to watch the news conferences with the Sandy Hook parents.  I cannot imagine losing a child, and Americans must do everything we can to protect innocent citizens from getting shot.  Most of us are in the sensible center on most issues, but nine out of ten never agree on anything.  Since ninety percent of us expect our elected officials to represent us on this issue, something positive must get done.  I cannot buy allergy medicine without showing my license, which I'm happy to do.  I understand there are bad folks out there who break the rules, but law abiding citizens don't break laws.  I cannot get on a plane without a background check, and if a fellow passenger does not want to go through security, I do not want them on my plane. Period.  It's that simple.
   April 15th is also the day that Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in Major League Baseball.  Before that, baseball was segregated, with Blacks playing in the Negro League.  The Movie '' 42'' tells the story about this brave man, and the owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers who decided to take a stand.  It seems unbelievable to me, that this all happened just a few years before I was born.  It does not seem possible that some of Jackie Robinson's own teammates would not even shake his hand, and that he and his family received death threats.  Tomorrow all players will be allowed to wear the number 42 in his honor, although all teams retired that number sixteen years ago.  Mariano Rivera from the Yankees is the last player to wear that number, because he has been playing baseball for twenty years, and had worn number 42 for several years before baseball implemented this rule.
   Patriot's Day falls on April 15th this year, and thousands will run in the Boston Marathon.  I know several people who will run tomorrow, and they all deserve a lot of credit.  It looks like the weather will cooperate, with temps in the fifties and no chance of rain.  I cannot imagine the commitment and dedication it takes to be able to run 26 miles.  Good luck to all the runners.
   I'm trying to decide if I can do a 5 k walk-run race before I turn sixty.  It has been on my bucket list, and there is a website called "couch to 5 k" that encourages beginners to get out of our recliners and get moving.  The training is three days a week, and takes about thirty minutes each day.  All of this seems manageable.  It is recommended to allow nine or ten weeks to complete the program.  I plan to begin walking now, and build up over the summer months.  Then in August, I'll get serious and start to run.  At first, I'll run for thirty seconds, then build up to ninety seconds.  I am allowed to repeat any level for as long as it takes to be comfortable, before I take on the next challenge, and run for extended periods.  I'm told there are many races around Thanksgiving, and I hope to be able to enter one.  I was told to take a few weeks, and work on getting mentally ready to accept this challenge.  I also need to find proper running shoes and other gear.  I realize that I'm getting older, and I see cousins my age with real serious health issues.  It makes me want to push myself and try and accomplish this sooner than later, because we do not know what the future holds.  I'll keep you all posted, and update again when I have a  plan...and the beat goes on....the beat goes on....
  

No comments:

Post a Comment