Sunday, December 16, 2012

Prayers and Tears for Connecticut School Children

   My heart breaks for the children and families involved in the deadly shooting at a school in Connecticut.  We have relatives who work in the Connecticut school system, and were horrified to hear about this latest act of violence against innocent kids and teachers.  This time, twenty 6 and 7 year old kids were killed by a twenty year old young man who had never been in trouble.  It is every parents worst nightmare, and it is happening too often in our country.  My reaction was both tears and prayers.
  It is also a fact that in the past twenty-four hours, ten people have been shot and killed in Chicago alone.  I think that it is disgraceful  to accept this as the ' just way it is'.  I've got to believe that if the same number of people died each day because of a virus, we'd call it an epidemic.  Let's use that outrage to make things better.  2013 is the year to address this tough topic, and make some tougher decisions for the good of our citizens.
   I've heard some say that 'this is not the time' to discuss laws, and I agree.  I think we should have begun the discussions years ago.  If we had the courage to debate this issue, we might be one step closer to keeping our children safer.  I've also heard that there will always be bad people in the world, and we must accept it.  As a parent, you will never convince me that the United States of America is not capable of keeping our children safe.  I refuse to believe that we should not even try to ensure that our kids feel safe and secure at school.  Please tell me that I am not the only parent in America who would rather try and fall short of 100 percent, than give up without a fight.  We send representatives to Washington to represent our concerns.  We need to demand that they do their jobs.
   We are a country of laws, and I believe that it is time for stricter rules and regulations.  I will always favor regulations that keep me and my family safe, so let's start the conversation there.  If "Susie Snowflake" can figure it out, then folks who are much smarter than I am must also have the same concerns.  Let's refuse to play stupid on this important issue.......and the beat goes on....the beat goes on......

No comments:

Post a Comment