Sunday, August 12, 2012

Olympic Closing Ceremony

    I just finished watching the closing ceremonies for the 2012 Olympics.  I learned that 204 countries participated in the games,  85 nations earned at least one medal, and that 7 countries won a medal for the very first time.  The United States won the most gold medals with 46, and the most overall with 104.  We can be extremely proud of all the Olympians who competed with such courage.  I wish I could have seen everything, but I was thrilled with the swimming, gymnastics, track and field, volleyball and basketball.
     The music from the closing was wonderful, and I enjoyed watching the athletes sing along with the performers.  So much  of the popular music we all grew up on, came from England.  Everyone seemed to know the words to the songs, and I loved watching the world sing together!
      As the Olympic flames died out, we were reminded that each petal was engraved with the name of one country,  which will be able to take that petal home.  I thought that was fantastic!
      I heard someone comment that the Brits put on a "Jolly Good Show", and I would say that sums it up quite well!  Many of the athletes hope to compete in the 2016 games, which will be held in Brazil.  It would be a dream come true, and I wish everyone well.......and the beat goes on.....the beat goes on.......
      

No comments:

Post a Comment