Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Celebration of Life

   A good friend of mine used to always say "Today is a gift, and that's why we call it the 'present."   I get up everyday and give thanks, then decide to enjoy my day.  Since tomorrow is still a mystery, today might be as good as it gets.
  One of my step-sisters died suddenly a few weeks ago.  Marianne was a young and vibrant 58yr old, and it has hit all of us very hard.   By the time our folks married, and their families blended,  we were all  married with kids of our own. They share seven children, and we all all very close in age.  We were closest with Mare and her four daughters,  because we all live in New Hampshire, and we got to see them the most.   The girls were teenagers when we met them more than twenty years ago, and now they are grown with children.  They did a fantastic job with the memorial service, and it truly was a celebration of life.  There were several photo collages, as well as some of Marianne's own artwork at the calling hours.  The memorial service  had poems and stories, and the church was full of friends and family.  I don't know how my folks got through it, because they never expected to survive one of their kids.  They were comforted by the fact that all six of us attended with our spouses, and four generations were there to support them.
    Marianne's youngest daughter read a beautiful poem, which put into words what many were feeling, and I'll share a verse. I could not find the author's name.
   "If tears could build a stairway, and thoughts a memory lane, I'd walk right up to heaven, and bring you home again.  No farewell words were spoken, no time to say good-bye, you were gone before I knew it, and only God know's why."   
    Death does help us keep things in perspective.  I want my family to feel the love that I have in my heart for all of them.  I refuse to squander  today, because I'm consumed with what may go wrong tomorrow.  I vow to make healthy choices, and to count my blessings.  I need to take a look at my bucket list, and get serious about the important  items.  I'll try not to worry so much about the small stuff, and try to make the most of my opportunities.......have a good week everyone...and the beat goes on.....the beat goes on......

   
.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment