Sunday, March 11, 2012

My Sister's Keeper

  March 8th was International Women's Day.  Events were held around the world to celebrate all women and our accomplishments.   This week, women across the United States, and the men who support us rallied around the college student Sandra Fluke.  Ms. Fluke had the courage to testify before Congress on the subject of women's heath.  A shock jock thought it would be amusing to insult her on his daily radio show.  He didn't realize that he insulted most Americans in the process until his show lost more than thirty advertising sponsors.  This is people power at work!  Bullies can dish it out much better than they can take it, and that guy will eventually get what he deserves from the consumers who write his paycheck. 
  We don't have to be religious to live by the golden rule.  Most of us learned how to treat others by the time we were in kindergarten.  We were taught how to get along with kids in the school yard and at the playground.  We knew that it was wrong to be mean to smaller kids just because we thought we could get away with it.  We looked out for our younger siblings and neighbors.  The bigger kids helped me out when I needed it, and I returned the favor when I could. 
   I'm glad that I spoke out last week, and I was encouraged to learn that many other more prominent and powerful men and women became allies against a bully.  This country was built on the fact that we are our brother's ( and sister's) keeper.  I hope that young and old  register to vote because our voices will matter in November.  I don't care who you vote for, just pick an issue that's important to you, and make sure the candidate shares your key views.  Voting is our right, and I hope we feel both privileged and obligated to stand for what we believe.  I know I'm one vote in millions, but I was shocked to learn that some elections are decided on less than a few hundred votes.  I was also disappointed to find that only a small percentage of Americans actually vote.  We cannot complain if we don't weigh in.  Please be ready to vote November 6th because our country is counting on you!
   Have a good week everyone...and the beat goes on.....the beat goes on......

No comments:

Post a Comment