Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day

  Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms!  If you didn't have anyone pamper you today, I hope you took some time for yourself.
   Let's face it, being a mom is a tough job.  We try and do everything right, but sometimes we just suck at it.  I take comfort in the fact that I agonized over each decision, and thought I made sound and responsible choices.  Yet many times, my kid thought I was trying to make his life more difficult.  I can only hope that time will show that I acted as a  loving and dedicated parent.  I'm not sure if I was the mom he needed, or the mom I wish I had.  I wanted to give my child roots and wings, and he has grown up to be responsible, and an extremely productive member of society.  He even remembered to call me today.
    I always thought of myself as a "smother", but there are "helicopter moms who hover", and hands off moms who just let things happen.   Whatever kind of a mom you are, put your right hand on your left shoulder, and your left hand on your right shoulder, and give yourself a hug!  Just remember that some days will be better than others.
     Today was sunny and warm, and so I decided to get a couple of errands done.  I tried to just live in the moment.  I noticed the blue sky and the puffy clouds.  The warm sun felt fantastic, and so I decided to make a gratitude list while I drove.  I try and think of five things for which  I am grateful.  It never has to be fancy or elaborate, just whatever crosses my mind.
     I am always grateful that my family is healthy, and that we all get along.
     I love warm and sunny days because they always lighten my mood.
     Both the Bruins and Red Sox won last night, and that is really something to be thankful for.
     I know that there are lots of things I can worry about, but today I refuse to go there.
     I focus on things that give me joy, peace and serenity.
     I reflect on my favorite Mother's Day memories, and enjoy them all again.  I remember the times I got it right, and know that I was an OK mom.  I didn't need to be perfect,  I just needed to be willing to be the mom he needed at the time. We should take comfort in the fact that while we never had the best of everything, we made the best of everything.   Have a wonderful day, and many wonderful days ahead......and the beat goes on ......the beat goes on........
     
   
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment