Sunday, September 16, 2012

Remembering September 11

    I know exactly where I was at 8:45am on September 11, 2001.  I was studying for the state board exam that was  scheduled over the next two days.   It was cold on the porch, and so I decided to pour a cup of coffee, and snap on the news.  Eleven years later, I can still vividly recall my horror as I watched the events unfold real time.  My heart  breaks when I hear the names of the victims, and see family members still trying to deal with their sorrow.  Life has been so unfair to all of them.
    This year, four Americans were killed in Libya and my condolences go out to their families.  I believe it was a planned attack, which was timed as part of a protest toward a hate filled movie made in the states, and shown on yahoo. A Libyan cleric told his church members that the movie was going to be a blockbuster in the U.S., even bigger than Batman, and the people needed to protest.  A Florida minister has been linked to the men  involved in the making of the movie.  Extremely vicious language was dubbed over the original words according to the actors. I wonder how people can blindly follow their religious leaders.  I think about the Americans who believe things heard in Church, even more than what they see on news. We probably have more access to all viewpoints than those in other countries, yet many don't dare to question.
     Religious leaders have a responsibility to promote more love than hate, and forgiveness over retaliation.  I was taught by Catholic nuns, and learned songs about the love of Christians.  We were taught that we should take care of each other, and there are seven corporal works of mercy that urge us to get involved.  Feed the hungry, clothe the naked and visit the sick are three that are easy to do.  Two of the Ten Commandments deal directly with lying and killing.  The Golden Rule tells us how to treat each other.  Whether we practice a religion or not, most of us learned the difference between right and wrong before we got to the first grade.
     I saw the videos from Benghazi with the citizens holding up signs apologizing to the United States for the death of our Ambassador.  We cannot think that all Muslims want violence, just as we do not want the world to view Americans from the actions of a college student who shot seventy innocent people at a movie.
    I was taught that evil exists when good people do nothing to stop it.  I think it's time for all good people to stand up for tolerance, and respect for others,  even when we do not think alike.  I am only one person, but I do get one vote, and I plan to use it to stand up for what I believe.  Actions have consequences.  Those in power must act responsibly, and provide a good example.  Religious Leaders and elected officials must know that Americans are watching, and  our voices will be heard.  Our words can match our actions, if we vote our conscience and values.
By the way,  we all passed those exams, and I cannot believe that I am about to begin my twelfth year in my profession.........and the beat goes on.....the beat goes on.......
     

No comments:

Post a Comment