Monday, September 24, 2012

All Patriotic Americans need to Vote in November

  I voted in the New Hampshire Primaries on September 11, 2012.  The woman who handed me my ballot and I have been neighbors for more than twenty years.  After chatting about our families, she asked me for my identification.  Although I am not happy about the new voting laws, I was prepared to follow the rules and show my license.  I questioned the fairness and timing of this, but decided that I would not take it out on the volunteers who work the polls.  We are a nation of laws, and I believe that this one provides a solution to a non- existent problem.   I also believe that we need to include voters, and encourage more participation in this important civil right.  Pleases check your state's voting laws, and take steps to register in time to vote,
  New Hampshire does not have good public transportation, which means that  residents  must drive in order to get to work.  I am calling on all registered voters with proper ID, to vote this November.  Vote for the senior citizens who stopped driving a few years ago, and now have an expired license.  They will be allowed to vote November 6, but will have just two weeks to provide a correct ID before their vote will count.
Vote for the college kids who cannot vote in New Hampshire with a college ID, if they live in another state.  They may have to choose between flying home to vote, or getting home for the Holidays.  This may seem like too much of a hassle for older and younger voters.  After all, it's only one vote.
    Many argue that so many Americans vote in the Presidential elections, that their one vote won't matter.  Both the 2000 and 2004 elections were won by less than 1000 votes when it came down counting the votes for the last district.  Our votes do matter, and any attempts to give people an excuse to stay home is not patriotic.  We should make voting easier, not more complicated.  Adding steps to the voting process and cutting the weekend voting days makes me very concerned.  
     In 2008, only 63% of registered voters cast a ballot.  That sounded pretty good to me, until I learned that more than 80% voted in the election for Abraham Lincoln more than one hundred years ago.  I think we can do better in 2012.  I'm calling on all registered voters  to grab their ID and head to the polls.  I think we can send the message that we can follow the laws and still make our voices heard. I do not care who you vote for, I just want to see more citizens stand and be counted.   It's the one day when all Americans are equal.  Rich or poor, we each get one vote.  I plan to use my wisely, and it's the patriotic thing to do.  Until we have the rules we want, let's work with the rules we have....and the beat goes on.....the beat goes on.......

No comments:

Post a Comment