Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pumpkin Festival

   Yesterday a bunch of us drove an hour to our local Pumpkin Festival.  Shuttle buses took us from a parking lot to the downtown area.  Racks of carved pumpkins lined the main street, which were lit at dusk. The town was hoping to win another record for the total number of pumpkins.  It was a beautiful day to walk around and support the event.  Organizations had set up booths for food and crafts,  and we enjoyed soup, snacks and desserts.  There were babies in strollers, other folks in wheel chairs, young and old walking with their pets.  We used the trash barrels, and walked in an orderly fashion.  It's a college town,  and some fraternities had volunteered to clean up.  
  On the ride home, we commented on how wonderful it was to be part of such a positive day.  Today, so much of the news focuses on the negatives.  We hesitate to go to huge events, because we are concerned  for our safety.  I'm glad I went, and I'm pleased that we all had a good time.  It was the perfect opportunity to recharge my batteries, and to restore my faith in neighbors and strangers alike. 
  My take away is to not be afraid to enjoy life.  Find things to do that don't cost a lot, but are a lot of fun. 
We've all seen the  commercial that lists the price of  parking, food, and souvenirs, but having a fun day is priceless.   I encourage you all to find inexpensive way to make good memories ..
This is my experience, so take what you like and leave the rest......and the beat goes on....the beat goes on...

No comments:

Post a Comment