Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11th - the Tenth Anniversary

 I remember 9-11-2001 vividly.  I turned on my TV expecting to see one of the morning shows.  I saw smoke coming from one of the towers, and then watched  as the second plane flew into the second tower in real time.  I was horrified because I knew that this was no accident.  I sat glued to the TV trying to make sense of it all.  We spent the day contactacting family and friends.  Over the next few weeks, everyone sang the anthem at sports events, and shouted "U-S-A ,  U-S-A !"  We were all Americans, and that was enough to connect us.  We donated to victims and their families through telethons, and concerts.
 Today I watched the ceremonies from New York, Washington DC, and Shanksville PA. The name of each victim was read, which reminded me of just how many innocent people gave their life .   I was struck with the number of foundations and other good things that came out of that terrible day.  Children spoke of their determination to make a deceased parent proud.  Parents will make sure their fallen angels are not forgotten.  Today, I believe that we observed a spiritual day.  The fountains, and memorials are beautiful, and yet the work will continue for years.  Many other states have built memorials to honor  neighbors lost from their communities. 
  Ten years later,  I still wake up and say "Thanks for today, I'm going to enjoy my day."  Through the years, I've  tried to focus on a solution, and not just my problem.  During difficult times,  I've prayed that my family would feel the love that I have in my heart for them, even when we disagree on things.  I've decided that life is too short to hold a grudge.  I give myself two bad days a year, whether I need them or not.  Today, I say things like "If I live to be 200,  my life will be too short to waste any more time on this stuff."  It's a healthy, more positive way to live, and I choose life!
  As always, these are my thoughts, so take what you like and leave the rest.
 Have a good week everyone... and the beat goes on....the beat goes on.....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment