Sunday, September 4, 2011

Happy Labor Day Weekend

  It's hard to believe that this summer is ending.  In just a couple of days, our focus will change from summer fun,  to back to school, and a new routine.  As usual, I think the eight weeks between the 4th of July and Labor Day seemed to fly by.  I enjoyed myself this summer, because it contained the right mix of  company and cookouts, and some relaxation.  The last few weeks have been bittersweet.  As the nights cooled down, so did the pool water.  As much fun as it is to get ready for school and fall sports, it means that life will soon be getting more serious.  Baseball fans are agonizing over every pitch, and football fans are gearing up for the new season.  In New England, we love to support our teams, which  means that we may be  in for some long sleepless nights. 
  Sports always seemed to give us an opportunity to connect with our son.  I always thought that Matt talked more when we were sitting side by side, than when we talked face to face.  In the car, or in the TV room, sports gave us something to chat about.  We had some of our best conversations on the long ride home after a game, or preparing snacks to watch a game at home.  At first, I clipped coupons or skimmed a magazine, but by the time the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004, I was a real fan.  Matt was happy to give me some insights, and teach me the terms and buzz words.  We were superstitious.  I bought the same ice cream, and other snacks.  We never had ice cream until our time took the lead.  It was silly and it was fun.  I made my tea in my "lucky cup".  We all had our routines, and we never deviated, lest we be the reason the team missed the playoffs.  We were in it together, and it helped us bond.  I knew I was lucky and I planned to enjoy it.  I still call my dad in Florida when good stuff happens in important games!
  The message is to find something that connects you and your kids, and have fun with it!  I know grandmothers who are reading Harry Potter with their grandkids.  They have something to talk about on the phone, or skype or facebook.  They have found a way to be close, even though they live far apart.
  As always, take what you like, and leave the rest.  Have a good week everyone....and the beat goes on....the beat goes on...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment